Blackboard Building Block
Video: This video playlist demonstrates the use of the Blackboard Building Block from both an Instructor and a Student perspective.
1. Download the Building Block zip file by logging into the support portal or contacting the support team to obtain the latest version of the plugin.
2. Unzip the contents of the file. There will a .war file within the extracted folder.
3. Log in to Blackboard as Administrator.
4. Navigate to System Admin > Building Blocks.
5. Click Upload Building Blocks.
6. Click Browse to select the MEDIAL .war file to upload it.
7. Once the file has been uploaded, click Submit.
8. Click Settings for the MEDIAL Building Block.
9. Click LTI Credentials.
The sign-on URL is the MEDIAL instance back-end URL appended with /lti. For example: https://upload.university.edu/lti
The key and secret match those in the Learning Tools Interoperability section of the MEDIAL security section.
11. Click Save on the LTI Credentials page in Blackboard.
12. Navigate to System Admin > Tools.
13. Find the MEDIAL Tool and make it available as required.
Map Student Roles
Optionally when configuring the Blackboard building block, you can map roles other than Instructor or Student onto the Instructor or Student role. You can even map the Student role to the Instructor role, thereby giving students elevated privileges to use MEDIAL from within Blackboard.
1. Log in as an instructor and navigate to a course page. Click Content.
2. Select Build Content > Mashups > MEDIAL.
3. Add a Name and Description.
4. Select MEDIAL from the drop down Mashup List.
5. A new window will allow you to upload a video item. If you have configured Blackboard to use AD/LDAP in the MEDIAL LTI security settings, click Yes to the question and enter your Active Directory or LDAP credentials. If not, click No and you will be registered automatically as a new user on MEDIAL.
6. In the window that appears, click Upload a new media item.
7. Continue through the steps and click Finish at the end of the process.
8. Click Submit.